Our Nine Sustainable Development Commitments
ConocoPhillips’ approach to sustainable development across our global network stems from our desire to build a global business that can meet the energy needs of today while ensuring future generations around the world have innovative energy solutions for tomorrow that improve living standards and provide a brighter future.
To deliver on this objective, ConocoPhillips has developed nine specific commitments that we are applying with measurable actions to the distinct environmental and social challenges facing the communities in which our businesses operate across our network. Our global progress on these commitments can be viewed on the Sustainable Development pages of the ConocoPhillips’ global website – www.conocophillips.com.
Our Nine Sustainable Development Commitments include:
- Increase the availability of ever-cleaner energy
- Be transparent and accountable by measuring and reporting both our financial and non-financial performance
- Operate to the highest safety standards
- Positively impact communities wherever we operate
- Minimize the environmental impact of our operations
- Invest in the wellbeing and development of our employees
- Constantly improve the energy and material efficiency of our operations
- Practice and uphold the highest ethical standards
- Ensure the long-term financial viability of the company
ConocoPhillips’ Commitment to Sustainable Development in China
Our partnership with China has grown considerably since the early 1980s when we were the first international operator to assist in making an offshore discovery in China. Today ConocoPhillips is one of the largest international investors in China’s upstream oil and gas sector employing some approximately 600 people across our co-venture projects in China. More than 90 percent of these employees are Chinese nationals.
As a long-term investor, operator and employer in China, we firmly believe that our organization must conduct its business responsibly and sustainably in China. We are committed to delivering on our global commitment to economic growth, a healthy environment and vibrant communities across our operations in China.